Thursday 16 September 2010

Huge bonfire now

The need of the two young people who have bought the house next door is to start fresh. Everything must go! They are moving in tomorrow and have torn out every living thing in their garden. I do understand it to a certain point but this was a living farm till 25 years ago. Our gardens were fields and are separated by beautiful Cornish hedges. Most of their hedge went at the beginning of the week so I had to scream to stop them cutting ours down too......a bit late I'm afraid...some had already gone.
This morning there is huge bonfire in progress. This is unlawful as I know from my time at Gerrans when bonfires in our cemetery got out of hand on more than one occasion.
It is windy and most of the smoke is going in their direction but they will be left with a core of ash that will smolder for a long time. It is a few yards from our fence....the bit I've so far saved. My husband has linked up our hosepipe and we are on red alert!
What we have seen this week is vandalism. Beautiful fir trees, glorious flowering cherry, roses and rosemary, thyme, sage, old apple trees still bearing fruit all gone on the bonfire. The need to obliterate everything that has gone before has somehow taken over from common sense...we thought we knew this man, we certainly know his parents but the image now emerging bodes ill for our future relationship. In a county where trees are needed badly, to simply kill them all off feels like desecration .
Since writing that this morning they started on the inside stuff. An entire kitchen was put on the tractor and dumped on top of the smoldering verbiage. That woke it up. Red flames are shooting into the sky and black smoke like a pall hangs over the field. I assume the ancient cast-iron Aga is safe. For the time being anyway.
We are braced for the next shock.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what the point is of buying a home in a traditional area only to burn all that is traditional about it. Granted, "old" over here is often 75 years (NW corner of the US), but I've never understood the point o this sort of wholesale destruction. I'm saddened with you...