Saturday 26 March 2011

The ancient rower.

I have moved into the sitting room so that I am in time for the boat race. This morning I finished the sermon, sorted out a christening and a wedding and followed the TUC march on Twitter.
I quite enjoy being dubbed the armchair army because that's just what we are now. Getting old provides it's own challenges but it's better than the alternative. Since my first husband died in 1997 the world has moved on at an extraordinary pace. When he died we had no computer and the Internet was arcane knowledge we thought we'd never possess.
I like the world we now live in. I enjoy the fact that I can follow a march in spirit, kept fully up to date by twitterers. And I can now have the pleasure of watching the boat race live!
It's not the actual boats I shall be seeing though, it's my husband watching them. I see on his face all the passion and the strength and the strain that goes in to seeing men putting everything they've got into a race on water.
He was a prize winning rower and is a member of the Leander club. Watching him, watching rowing is to see a wonderful transformation because he is there, rowing the race. He knows every inch of the river having lived there and been part of the Imperial College rowing team.
He is now too old even to row in the veterans race but he can still do it. He sat in a rowing machine last year and astonished everyone by how well he could row with real strength.
For a man of his age he is very fit and it's probably due to misspending his youth on the river. I am told they rowed hard and played hard.
I hope this years lot do too!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Truro,United Kingdom

No comments: