Wednesday 23 March 2011

Men and washing!

What is it with men? My husband is highly intelligent, helpful in every way but he has a serious defect when it comes to washing! We have been married for five years and a half now. His first wife had a stroke and he looked after her for a year until she died. During that time he learned all sorts of useful things like how to do the washing and the ironing,
He is a wonderful ironer...better than me and he actually irons my albs as well as my clerical shirts.
Not always the right colour though....he is incapable of doing a white wash.
Everything gets thrown in together and it took just a month of our early married life to realise that my smalls would never again be white.
Some are pink but most are sludge coloured. This is not good in a bra so I had to take action and I now have a small basket dedicated to my whites.
This morning I changed our sheets. I took them downstairs to the washing machine and put them in and then checked. Sure enough there was a red woolly in there....so I took it out. He was affronted..It needs to be washed he said...
I checked what else was in the machine. one bra with a delicate shade of dark green...best described as forest swamp was also sitting there. He thought the green might go pink if he put them all together!
Now this man was a civil engineer in real life and built half modern London. Not to mention the M1 and Docklands. He was the first project manager for Canary wharf for goodness sake so why does he just not get it? Is it a man thing?
Harsh words having been spoken he has now taken his coffee and paper out to the summer house.
I will worry now in case he decides that I can take over the ironing as well!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amusing story but there is a simple answer. Wash at a lower temperature. Colurs don't run and clothes get just as clean :-) (burbage1)

Jenni said...

Oh I identify with this! I don't find that washing at a lower temp makes much different ,whites are grey and so are most of the other things. My husbands excuse is that we need to save energy and water ,therefore it all gets stuffed in together. No More!!!! He is banned from the utility room.....

UKViewer said...

I learned the washing lesson when I retired and took over some of the household chores my from my beloved.

Never mix woolens with anything, wash separately according to the instructions - one of my pullovers came out to fit a four year old.

As for colours, my spouse has some magic powder that she uses to restore original colours that I might alter accidentally. She says it's a trade secret and I cannot be trusted with it just yet? (:

However, I am now capable of sorting a wash into the correct natures, to operate the space type buttons on the machine as long as everything can be washed at 40%, which is I understand the temperature to avoid accidents as well as being good for the environment.

Some men do get it, but then I am not an engineer, academically inclined, just a poor old soldier, fading away in North Kent.

Gareth Hill said...

He's clearly very very intelligent and has realised that the dumber he "appears" to be the less washing he will end up being responsible for. And with the weather we're having down here at the moment, Jean, coffee in the summer house sounds just about perfect.
Congratulate him for me, would you?

John Campbell Rees said...

Before I went to college in the late 1980's, I was given a stern lecture by my mother on how to do my own laundry that I have never forgotten. Basically it was on the importance of not washing everything together and keeping my dirty clothes folded and flat, so I could get away with not ironing them for longer. I stuck to her advice and thanks to my mother managed to look a great deal smarter than any of my male contemporaries. Of course, taking up three machines in the small Student Laundry meant that I usually did my laundry late at night when the place was deserted.
When I left college, my mother would wash the clothes, my late father would iron them, and I would fold them.
So, some men do realise that if you look after your clothes, they will look after you for a lot longer.