Thursday 8 May 2014

Ghosts or wishful thinking?

I have been thinking about ghosts.
I am fully aware that when a much loved person dies there is an emotional need to believe that some part of that person continues. I walk around the house talking to David. I believe that he hears what I say...but is this just wishful thinking? Is it our brains way of easing the pain of loss?
The resurrection of Jesus gives us all hope but He was after all God so if anyone can He can....but do we all, the human ones survive the shuddering moment when the breathing stops?
I have been searching my life for any evidence...actual evidence that we continue after death...I have considered the amazing amount of belief and evidence. Thomas put his hands into the wounds of Christ....but he first doubted so why don't I ?
I have never seen the ghost of a loved one. I have thought I could sense one or two. I accompanied an old friend who was a vicar as he investigated poltergeist activity. But I have never seen a ghost.
The nearest I came was in my sleep. I dreamed a ghost.
An old lady I was related to died the night before she was to have her leg amputated...she was in great pain, diabetic and her death was a relief. A row ensued over whether she was going to be buried or cremated...her daughters were divided on this issue.
I dreamt one night that I saw the woman. She asked me to tell her daughters it was alright to be cremated. And here was the weird bit. The woman I saw was young, happy, out of pain and dancing for joy!
I had never met her till she was an old woman but the next day I had no problem picking her out in a group photograph as a young woman in her twenties. The daughters were given the message that stopped them fighting.
This is slender evidence of the survival of the soul.....if it was a ghost why did I only see her in my sleep? Is it just another example of wishful thinking?
Right now, I know there is a need to think my husband and my children are up there, happy and whole again...but I worry about it being dillusional .
This is obviously not going to prevent my conversations with them all....even the dog gets his share of the conversation....but I just hope it's not the first step along the slippery slope into a second childhood!

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I think that it's healthy to speak to someone you've lost. We believe that we will all be together again in a happier place, safe in the arms of Jesus. I believe that while they're dead and gone, their essence stays with us in our minds and hearts. We remember them with love and affection mostly, more problematic if the relationship was fractured before they went and we couldn't make our peace in time.

And a good friend of ours, who lost his wife a couple of months ago, she died on the operating table, still speaks to her and off her, lovingly. He is convinced that she can hear him and that he even anticipates her answers, they knew each other so well.

I see nothing wrong with this. It's a coping strategy, and I remember the wise words of a widow who spoke to us on a course at the Armed Forces Chaplaincy centre she said "you never get over the pain and grief - you just get used to it" which seemed to me to be apt and appropriate at the time and speaks strongly to me now as many of my friends or former colleagues seem to be dying on and off. Mortality is something that comes to all - it's a shock when it happens, we can't anticipate it, but we can remain believing that it's not the end - but a new beginning.