Thursday 24 July 2014

A visit to the past.

When David and I moved into this house we were in the middle of an interregnum...we were both very busy and there was no time to consider where things should go. They were plonked down in what looked like the right rooms and left....

Once the busiest period of our lives was over we had settled down. We had an office each and a spare barn to put in anything not wanted on the journey !

Since David died I have been on a mission...I needed to get his things sorted out first and handed over to his sons. Now there is time for my stuff...

I have started on the spare bedroom. There is only one bed in it so couples need not apply.....

There is though room for another bed providing I ditch some of the things that have stood around for the last eight years mostly untouched by human hand!

Extra ordinary things are coming into the light....old photographs, unread books, unworn clothes, fair isle sweaters knitted for the last David....

The photographs are amazing and soon I will try to get them into some sort of order but for now it's enough to just gaze in amazement and giggle....

Hair styles not withstanding there are wonderful memories here...summer holidays spent on the beach at St Agnes with my children looking happy and brown....

Old boats , old friends...you know who you are...beloved dogs...the story of my hippie youth and even some of my first teaching companions...it would be all too easy at this stage to retreat into the past where all of my loved ones live but I'm not yet ready for that....that's what old people do. I might be fairly ancient but I'll never be old!

Travelling back to a happier time is always going to be an option I suppose but I have always lived in the present, even when that was a painful place... Now the past is a place I will visit occasionally. The old photographs are the time machine which will take me there!

 

No comments: