Wednesday 9 July 2014

Sporting passions.

Who could ever have believed that I could blog about football?

It's not really about the beautiful game of course....it's more in memory of my son...

Adrian was only a little boy when England beat Germany in the World Cup but it was for him a major life enhancing event!

He watched every sort of sport on the TV for the rest of his life.....

It is one small consolation that during his last summer he had watched the Olympics with great joy and his last tweet to me was telling me how long a football match was compared to the daily diet of soap he thought I indulged in!

The only sport I've ever really watched was tennis and this year, finding myself in a far flung corner of the world I saw a few sets with a Portugese commentary but it failed to get my interest and having missed the first week I never settled down to watching the last week, noting in passing that that Murray had been defeated.....

When I got home I was amazed to find that football was still occupying a great deal of time on the TV....

Back to the boxed sets I'm afraid....I seem to have got stuck on hospital drama....ER, House, Greys Anatomy are all excellent substitutes for football.....

The bit of my brain that wants to be entertained rejects sport as entertainment...

My inner being needs stories....human beings in all their glory , their loves, lives and dramas beat groups of competing athletes every time!

I watched the Olympic rowing with David and enjoyed seeing young men and women swishing through the water but that's a simple story...a race is easy to understand as they all flex their muscles to see who can get first to the finishing line.

Watching a game involving twenty odd people trying to get a ball into a net fails to excite me....it is incomprehensible to my grasp of sport.

I get the partisanship, I get the skill involved in games like football and hockey...it just doesn't either turn me on or fill my heart with pride....

I do understand that for people like my husband and son it is a totally consuming passion...

That sort of sporting single mindedness though is an enigma....

However, vive la difference....we are all entitled to our passions....we are a diverse race...it's what makes a human being capable of great feats in either sport or art...

It's just that I am unable to share the joy, the total euphoria that my son experienced when his chosen team won! I hope he's up there witnessing Brazils loss . I just wonder how he's feeling about the German win!

Let's not go there!

No comments: