Tuesday 26 August 2014

Soap addiction.

I finished watching Broadchurch last night. It was on the TV during one of our longer trips aboard and after seeing it scoop up lots of awards in the aftermath it was clearly something that I needed to catch up with.
My television viewing has changed significantly since I became a widow....David didn't like anything too violent or soul searching and I doubt if he would have stayed the course with Broadchurch.
I did enjoy it and it promised to return at the end so I will look out for it in due course....
One of the factors of widowhood is that you can watch anything you want at any time of day or night without worrying about a spouses reactions...
My habits changed considerably in the years after the first David died. I got into some very bad habits , often staying up very late at night fascinated by the range of adult viewing available...
Dragons Den for instance was on very late at night...they obviously thought it didn't have mass appeal...
Living in an area where it was impossible to get Freeview I succumbed to the joy of getting Sky which took me further along the road of highly dodgy viewing....
I will not go back to Sky again now mostly because I don't need it but mainly because it was harder to get out out than it was to get in.
I can get Freeview here but find that I'm still watching the same old channels..with the addition of the boxed set!
It's not just Broadchurch.....House, The Newsroom, West Wing, have all kept me quiet into the dark hours of widowhood.
I am just about ready to resume a normal pattern..soaps, news, politics and new drama...the end of the summer is heralding a need to get back to "normal" what ever that might be...the ability to catch up with anything I miss on my iPad means there won't be much I miss....
I'm not really a TV addict honestly...but I do like a good drama...preferably not in my daily life...viewing other peoples dramas which is the nature of soap seems like a much better idea!

No comments: