Friday 3 July 2015

Where is the trimmer?

Communication in rural Cornwall....deep sigh....

A couple of weeks ago I asked the gardener to trim back the hedge which is growing by inches daily....

He agreed but then yesterday came to tell me the hedge trimmer has gone....after a prolonged discussion as to when, how and where it had gone I told him there was no need to do it in the heat...specially as it involves standing on a ladder on a busy road.

Next thing I see him lifting his ladders out of his car clearly intent on trimming!

I got on the phone to order him a new one....I did not want him out there for too long at this time of the year....With the amount of traffic on the road on the road he might have been the one to be trimmed.....

The very helpful salesman on the phone asked how old the gardener was. I gave him my best guess then he asked how big he was! Lost now completely....

Apparently his age and size were relevant to the machine needed.

The next question was twenty two inches or eighteen? Erm...I dashed out to ask him...the surreal three way conversation involved size and fuel, electricity or petrol as well as how soon it could appear...Only much later did I grasp the relevance of size....

By this time my poor female brain was in retreat..What I've just written down took up much longer in real time but then I ordered the small one and prayed briefly...so that was when the gardener appeared again to tell me the strimmers not working....back to the phone...the salesman will service the strimmer when he delivers the trimmer......

The blessed gardener is now a happy man. So is the shop keeper....I am now wilting and not just from the heat!

 

No comments: