Saturday 5 September 2015

Resuming a social life......

This weekend should in theory be much quieter than the last one but I'm not sure I can rely on that! The broadband is already going down which usually means that we are full!

The holiday makers have now given way to the second home owners who have waited for the young families to go home....

I know quite a lot of these obviously...some are very old friends from thirty years ago...the group of people who sailed together in their youth , brought their children here for the summer activities all tend to congregate at the boatyards which are the unofficial meeting places.

Before I came to live here and became a priest I was part of this group...but for obvious reasons I kept out of the way during my years as a curate...

Some of them pop in to see me, some just think I went balmy in my old age...But the close friends who own property here still invite me out and I go occasionally. The talk is inevitably of old times , old friends , spouses and long lost loves.

Tonight I am going out to supper with a very old friend of forty years...we will eat at the pub we used to visit most often with our spouses and our children...

It won't be miserable. There will be a lot of laughter but with one small problem....having supper with a man who used to be my dentist is fraught with difficulty for me. If I laugh with my whole heart he will be able to see the remnants of all the work he put in all those years ago , now needing much more work! But I only go to the dentist now if I am in pain.....so I have to try not to laugh too much. This resolution disappears after the first glass of wine.....

Hopefully the good conversation will compensate for my trying not to open my mouth too wide but this is someone I know very well.....I am under no illusion.....all will inevitably be revealed....so be it!

No comments: