Thursday 15 October 2015

Dark mornings.

It's half past seven and it's dark! I hate these very dark mornings. I am always reminded of the period in the sixties when we tried not to have British summer time . The experiment did not work and we went happily back to moving our clocks around to suit our needs...

But not before we had a year of struggling to get to work in gloomy conditions...

I had two children to take to school and looking back now I remember with horror the difficulties of driving to my son's school which was about ten miles away...

The main problem was getting my ancient Wolsly started! Peering into an engine with a torch to try to identify the problem was much worse when my children were sitting ready to go and no encouraging sounds were coming from the attempts to start the very old engine.

During this period of dark early mornings I became quite good at flooding the engine and drying it off. I could take the carburettor into the house , use my hair dryer and put it back even in pitch darkness...now the inner workings of my engine are totally incomprehensible!

We were often late.....the days we got up to snow were the worst but at least it was easier to see what we were doing...

Every year when we have the discussion on the merits and demerits of British Summer time I thank God that we went back to it.

Bring on the early morning light!

No comments: