Thursday 1 October 2015

World dangers!

The news that Russia has now started to bomb the already war torn Syria should have been good news but isn't of course....

The determination of the two major players on the world stage to wipe out the barbaric group calling itself Islamic State should fill me with enthusiasm . We all want it stopped...but the inevitable escalation of horrific violence seems inevitable now.

What makes this so dreadful is that my first reaction was to think....good, wipe the bloodthirsty young jihadists out! This is a reaction I am ashamed of and the aftermath of that shame is to try to find some good news somewhere....

The thought of Russia and America both getting involved in air strikes is not a happy one...it would be much too easy for chance destruction to result in wholesale war. The Cold War standoff that has lasted decades could well end and soon.....

I am reminded of the time when the news reached us that The USA had found evidence of a build up of nuclear weapons in Cuba... I spent time that night praying over my sleeping baby that the world would not be changed overnight...

The news that Russia and America are going to talk soon gives us room for hope...it would be wonderful if a dialogue began between the two major powers...it could hopefully be seen as an opportunity to learn to work together.

This I realise is hopelessly idealistic. But it's the best I can come up with this morning.

Prayers are ascending....

No comments: