Sunday 27 March 2016

TV at its best!

It's been a while since I enjoyed something on the TV as much as I enjoyed "The night manager."
Last nights final episode   was simply amazing as all the loose ends were gently knitted together to make a very smart garment!
So many ironies played out as the scenes took place in the hotel where we were first introduced to the hero.
The unlikely heroine looking as if she was just about to give birth gave the story an edge that surprised as it delighted.
John LeCarrie has always been a star for me ever since I struggled to follow the first episodes of his Smiley novels, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It got us all talking way back in the eighties as people admitted with slight annoyance that they had no idea what it was all about!
Reading his biography recently I was not surprised to find that he really had learned his trade craft as a young man engaged in Cold War spying. His novels are a picture of a time not completely gone as Russia versus the Western world made for some amazing moments in literature as well as in life.
The author not only writes well, he writes from inside knowledge.
The BBC should be applauded I think...this was a first class production of an amazing novel!
I expect it will be on again fairly soon following its spectacular success...I could certainly watch it again...to fill in some small gaps...
It's not often I rave about something on the TV.....this is an exception!
Congratulations to everyone concerned!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

Once again Jean we are in accord. John Le Carrie is my favourite author.
I first became a fan when I read his story told from both perspectives of the Israeli/Arab conflict. I think it was called "The little drummer girl" or something similar.
The cold war stories are my favourites and i have long been a fan of Len Deighton and Ted Aldbury too.
The BBC so often comes up with the goods. Well done them.

Babs said...

I really enjoyed the Night Manager, wonderful characters. I think the drama on TV has taken a turn for the better, I also enjoyed Happy Valley, I shall miss them both.

Revjeanrolt said...

I missed Happy Valley.....it started when I was away and I never caught up.....I can always get the DVD I suppose.

Babs said...

Have you not go Iplayer on you iPad?

UKViewer said...

I'm afraid that I haven't either read the book or seen the program so will have to try to get it on catch up.

But last night we had a new series of Maigret, Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson) playing the lead part. Like all Maigret novels, lots of darkness, played out in a very 'off the time' way. Keeping it in period is so much more realistic than updating it for modern times.

I can't think what Maigret would do with an Ipad or Google, his pipe seems sufficient for him to work things out.