Thursday 5 May 2016

To vote or not to vote?

The only election being held here today is for a Police Commissioner. I have one small leaflet giving me a little information but that apart I have no idea about any of the people involved or if they belong to any political party.
I could I know do my own research to find out more but sadly the will to do so is lacking.
I vowed many years ago to always use my vote but this is one occasion when I may not exercise my democratic duty!
Going to vote for people of whom I have no knowledge is a nonsense!
I have no idea if party politics play any part in this election. The only leaflet I've received is from the Green Party....but the other parties have been strangely silent.
I have a suspicion that I may have said all this last time we were called to do this because I felt just the same way then too!
I got roundly told off last time for expressing these views but I am still finding it hard to believe that this is democracy in action.
We have no way of knowing which of the people asking for our vote is capable of being a police commissioner.
So as this is the only election being held today here I may just not go. And this would make me very sad. Women died to ensure that we were able to vote and here am I contemplating wimping out!
More information would have made a difference but as it stands I think I'm opting out!
I have better things to do on Ascension Day!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I sent a link to you on Twitter about your PCC candidates.
I do hope you WILL go and vote.

Ray Barnes said...

My own feelings were very similar Jean, but, since I always use my vote I decided to see online what was so lacking in any other form.
There were profiles of the candidates with details of their particular interests/hobby horses and also the party which was supporting them. From this I chose the one who most nearly matched my main concerns.
As you so rightly say, there is so little real information out there that it is really a bit of a lottery, but that also applies to other elections, local or national.
Naive perhaps, but I still tend to trust my basic instincts. We'll see.

Revjeanrolt said...

As I was out all day yesterday I only found the info much later....it was very helpful but it in the end failed to get me to the polls. Oops !