Tuesday 5 July 2016

Cornish summer!

Summer has finally arrived in Cornwall.
So many memories take centre stage...
I started to bring my children down for the whole summer holiday....because I was a teacher and got the long holiday too!
We used to bring tents and then a very small caravan....
Getting to the north coast to catch the waves became an essential part of our lives....every year we only went home the day before term started!
The first David and I discovered the south coast when we came here on our own...we loved it's beauty and gentleness in comparison with the rugged surfing beaches.
Once he'd retired, coming to live here became a priority...and he died in the attempt. A massive heart attack felled him as we were out looking for the perfect house.
I moved here on my own three years later...loved it, took my dog swimming from all the local beaches..and missed my husband and children...
Then the church got me!
I gave up my boat and worked hard.
And then I married my church warden...
So many memories....all good ones...
Our dogs, old friends , beaches full of joyful children...
They are all still with me...
Not all of my memories are of happy times but most of them are...I have been so lucky to have found my place here.....my only regret is not finding it sooner...
To look out on the glory all around is a joy but all my old friends made during earlier times are still part of my story...
Thank you God!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

I'm so glad for you that you are able to appreciate the beauty of your home.
You have lost so much it never ceases to amaze me how very little self-pity you ever show.
May you enjoy many more years surrounded by lovely views and lovely memories, and of course your remaining friends.

UKViewer said...

Cornwall is a beautiful county. I love Exmoor and the coast around Penhale and Tregantle. Spent many happy times there during my posting to Plymouth in the 1960's. And later visited and travelled all over. And of course, with the Army we exercised there. I can remember doing Escape and Evasion and the kindness of people who helped us and didn't turn us in - happy memories.

Revjeanrolt said...

Cornwall is a beautiful county. I love Exmoor and the coast around Penhale=
and Tregantle. Spent many happy times there during my posting to Plymouth =
in the 1960's. And later visited and travelled all over. And of course=
, with the Army we exercised there. I can remember doing Escape and Evasio=
n and the kindness of people who helped us and didn't turn us in - happ=

Revjeanrolt said...

The above comment was actually from Earnie...aka UK Viewer.
It failed to get here the usual way so I copied and pasted it!