Monday 18 July 2016

Scrap our big gun?

As a girl in Rochdale I was one of the first people to join a new movement called CND. I can only have been about sixteen!
Over the years I joined many walks to protest all sorts of things but specially nuclear war! But then it made sense not to proliferate dangerous weapons which if detonated would bring mass destruction and lasting damage from radio active fall out.
As I have grown older I have become less certain.
My husband convinced me of the value of the nuclear power stations to provide electricity. He had helped build one of them and I slowly became converted....everything nuclear was not necessarily bad!
Today I simply don't know.
I am being urged by the Green Party to send my MP an email asking for Trident to be scrapped and in the old days I wouldn't have hesitated but the world we now live in is dangerous, unpredictable and violent at times.
I see clearly that having a deterrent in the shape of Trident may well be a good thing though it's hard to imagine actually using it in anger...
As a founder member of CND I know where my vote should lie...but it was a different world then...now it feels good to have our very own deterrent.
Once more my girlish ideals are challenged....
Like Jeremy Corbyn I find it hard to set aside the deep desire not to give house room to nuclear weapons of mass destruction. But the small voice inside me rejoices in the thought that it would deter the big boys from picking on us!
Once more on the horns of moral dilemma I do what I do best...I pray and do nothing!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I am anti-Trident and believe that Nuclear weapons are an obscene anachronism from the past. We don't need evidence of the destructive power - Nagasaki and Hiroshima tells us that every day.

Nuclear for power isn't a clean option either - we're storing up problems for future generations by hiding the waste deep underground in concrete bunkers - but what assurance can we have that it will always be safe? None that I can see.

Surely, we can do better - going for renewable energy sources is a possibility, not at the moment, so we should use the fossil fuels remaining as we work towards the future, global clean energy security - as well as our own.

But, we're in the hands of our politicians, who are still in the throes of learning that having the ability to destroy the world isn't a viable option. Mr Corbyn has got it right this time. Pity people don't listen to wisdom, from wherever it comes.