Friday 16 September 2016

Phishing again!

I seem to have been targeted over the last week by people trying to get access to my Apple account.
The emails started at the beginning of the week, telling me that I needed to update my details.
It progressed through requests to threats.
If I didn't update immediately I would suffer the consequences...
Yesterday I got two of them
The first one said that as I'd ignored their request my account could be terminated..
The second one proclaimed that I had indeed been suspended...
"Account suspended" it proclaimed...
Hmmm....
I finally clicked on the link, don't all shout at once....
In the stuff that followed was a remarkable amount of information about me, my birthday, where I live etc...
I stopped when I got to the instruction to put in my account details...
They had the last four digits of my card number.....
I stopped dead at this stage.
In the mail it said if I was worried then I should go to Apple Support.
In the past there have always been small mistakes either in the English or the punctuation...this one was perfect!
I booked a conversation with Apple...they have helped me out in the past.
The man I spoke to reassured me...they had not suspended my account...there was nothing wrong at all.
He ended by asking me to send the worrying emails to Apple as phishing attempts..
I sent the last two.
All of this took time....at least a couple of hours....because of the slowness of my broadband....
It was a couple of hours I needed....I had other things I should have been doing.
This morning I am reassured to receive a request from Apple to give feedback on yesterday's conversation with them! But the whole episode has worried me...how easily they had acquired my details! ...
It's the price we pay for instant communication. But keeping alert is essential,


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Nancy Wallace said...

Stay alert! It's worth being extra careful. It's good to be 'as harmless as doves' but also needful to be 'as wise as serpents'. Good that you saw the danger just in time.

UKViewer said...

There are so many crooks out there, looking for unwary punters. I haven't been caught out yet, but it could happen. Vigilance is key. And any email I don't recognise is deleted - and I never, ever, ever, click on links in emails. I'm glad you were able to sort it out - but it demonstrates to me not to be complacent.