Wednesday 16 August 2017

Cruising snobbery.

I'm afraid I have become a bit of a snob in my old age....I am embarrassed about this but have to admit it's truth.
Old friends always appear in August and over the last weeks I have found myself trying to explain the Cunard system with regard to their guests.
Depending on how many days you've spent at sea on one of their ships you get graded....from silver, to gold, platinum and finally diamond.
David was aiming at diamond but never actually got there.
For me travelling alone it is a great boon being a diamond member, it cuts out queuing...and there are other benefits too not all of which I take advantage of...
But it is hard to explain to people who have never cruised.
My friends and relations know that I go away to exotic places on my own.
I always book a double cabin with a balcony and so have to pay double for this...it is worth it for me now...especially after the dreadful trip on the Olsen ship.
The problem now though is when someone offers to come with me!
Obviously it's only people I know well and I do think about it...but unless they are also diamond members there are all sorts of hurdles to get over.
The main joy is the ease of getting on and off...diamond members are classed a "priority" I sail past long queues very happily....it makes a difference.
So when an old friend offers to come with me it's not all joy and I am embarrassed to be admitting this!
So I have become a snob....but a fairly happy one as far as cruising goes..
I am seeing old friends on the next one and that's fine because they are diamond members too. Oh dear!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I always travel third class, or so it seems. Trains always seem full and I regard having to stand as third or even fourth class if are crammed in like sardines.

I have never cruised, so can't speak for that type of snobbery. But I recall that when I was promoted to major int the Army and had to travel on duty, I was entitled to travel first class, and I have to grudgingly admit, that Train snobbery took over and I used it gladly. Being guaranteed a reserved seat made a difference on long journies. It alsoo meant that if a subordinate rank was travelling with me, that got to share the privelege - as they were carrying essential documents (of course) which we needed to work on during the journey.

In later years, as budget pressures took over, the system discouraged travelling first class, whatever your rank or status, and eventually you had to book every journey through an agency - which would imposed their ideas of travel routes over your needs - many as discussion was had with a civilian travel expert? who would gleefully point out the costs were the first consideration, not your needs. In the end, I would have my way, but it would be interesting that I would find that they had forgotten to reserve a seat, despite that being essential. It was a fight to get anything - at least now I get to make my own travel arrangements, without official interference.