Friday 27 October 2017

Bah....humbug!

It is very dark outside at quarter to eight....in fifteen minutes my gardener will start work. I have no idea how he will cope with this.
This weekend is one of the worst for me.
Moving the clocks back to ordinary time will give us an extra hour of light in the morning.
This is also the Halloween weekend. This is shouting out to me from various games sites on my iPad! Even backgammon!
I do not like this celebration...but up here tucked away from the village I don't get trick or treaters for which I am very pleased.
This custom under the influence from America has grown into a big occasion now with children knocking on doors and threatening mischief if we don't give them something.
When I was young I do remember pushing a pram around asking for a penny for the guy! The guy was an image made of bedding or cushions or in my case we used my very large teddy bear which rejoiced in the name "Joe Stalin" thanks to my communist father!
I don't remember actually getting any pennies, more cuffs and grunts came in our direction but somehow that didn't stop us!
So I was young and intrepid once!
Now in old age I shall stay put most of the time...I have no plans for attending any bonfires. I shall though see a lot of fireworks.
From my sitting room I can see all the celebrations across the water in Falmouth.
I will not be celebrating Halloween. I remember my loved ones every day. It doesn't take a special day!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I despise both Halloween and Guy Fawkes. I don't see any advantage in celebrating the devil or of celebrating the torture and burning of anyone.

Perhaps I am getting old, but I never, ever found any sort of joy in either of those events. If others wish to celebrate, let them, but please, do not impose them on me.

Our animals are terrified by fireworks and hide away every year, for days at a time as idiots let fire works off for weeks before and after the event.

I can understand the Hindu Festivals where fireworks are used, but they seem much more disciplined than the native brits, whose careless use of fire and fireworks, puts pressure on the emergency services each year.

I believe that fireworks should be restricted to organised displays only, and should not be on sale to the general public.