Monday 23 October 2017

Global problems?

It's dark outside. News of weather events around the world contribute to the general feeling that things are not what they used to be.
General discontent with our lives have taken up centre stage in the news.
Acidification of the sea right around the world is serious .
The declining number of bees is also serious. Without bees our days are numbered.
Much of today's problems are caused by us....
We humans are a selfish lot of people...we don't seem able to look ahead to see the consequences of our actions.
I have a good friend who tells me that global warming does not exist, that the planet goes through climate change fairly regularly all on its own.
She makes an excellent case, and yet scientists have convinced me that we are leading towards a major change.
So today I am listening to the news that in London diesel cars are going to be charged heavily for entry.
When I lived close to London none of us would dream of driving in.
We used trains. Driving around London was a nightmare. Tubes were much easier to negotiate.
Down here the number of cars doubled over the weekend. Half term means we are full again.
We are an over populated world. People are on the move, driven by war and the need to find new places to live that are safe.
Having moved from the north to the southeast and then to the west I have at times been part of the problem.
I have planted trees, recycled my rubbish, tried not to use my old diesel car too often.
The bees are still buzzing around the garden. All is well in my little world and that's the best I can do now.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

The heavier London Congestion charge is for cars over 10 years old, as well as Diesel Cars. I never drive my 12 year old car in London, most of my travel is in Kent or local, which is outside the congestion zone, but, we have the highest level of pollution in the South East, due to heavy industry along the Thames Corridor, so, having the congestion charge won't help with that.