Friday 17 November 2017

Cleaning?

Several weeks without a cleaner has been a test. A broken bone is responsible for this calamity...hers not mine and I have got on with it mostly with no problem but occasionally hubris strikes....
I can hoover..of course I can...been doing it for years...but the machines have changed. The means of emptying them has too and once I've pulled them apart I have trouble getting them reassembled correctly.
Somewhere in the house are the instruction that came with them but they are currently hiding.
I've had a cleaner since I moved to Cornwall and needed major surgery within weeks. Once home from hospital, kind friends furnished me with various cleaners who have proved invaluable over the years.
Dealing with a family plus animals...a hairy dog and a cat in our case took a lot of effort which I'm only recently appreciating...
Now there's only me I don't create much mess...but a promised visit from my cleaner prior to coming back on duty has sent me scuttling around with dusters and vacuum cleaners...but it's not a really convincing performance....my highly intelligent friend will not be fooled...
But I do have to try.
No dust.....I asked another friend why there's no dust anymore and she blames having no open fires...which is a thought except I've not lived in a house with an open fire for at least twenty years....
I'll stop rambling now....I have housework to do.
The irony of cleaning up prior to a visit from my cleaner has occurred to me...but needs must...there is my ability to look after myself and my home at stake here...
I didn't mind acting a bit helpless when I was younger but now it's essential that I appear to be coping...I really can't afford to be thought of as useless!
So off I go, duster in one hand, vacuum cleaner in the other!
Swoooosh!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

The life of a cleaner is full of dust and dirt. As you are now finding out. For me, as the cleaner here, I try to ignore the dust all week and have a blitz on Friday's, because I like to think that I'm doing a good(ish) job. But when I pull a sofa or bed out, I see the debris of cats (who love the dark places) and bits of paper and tissue and fluff in these neglected places.

I know that I should do better, but I hear so many stories of houses so clean due to the OCD of the occupant, that they lose their resistance to germs and bugs. So, a certain amount of dust is healthy, but when it piles up, perhaps that is the issue, my poor eyesight misses it most of the time.