Tuesday 7 November 2017

Taxation is good!

Paying our taxes is an old theme of mine.
I have been shocked over the last days to see that dodging paying it is considered fair game by not only individuals but entire corporations .
Apple does not come out of this well. But lots of people seem to find it fairly easy to dodge the true amount of tax they should pay.
I was shocked about a year ago to be told that I owed several thousand pounds to the Inland Revenue.
I rang the help number.
We discussed what had happened...it wasn't my fault but the pensions I am paid had failed to impose the right amount.
I agreed to pay off the sum in monthly amounts over three years. I am still paying it though I joked with the kind lady that with any luck I'll be dead before it ends.
I am quite sure that the right advice from an expert would have saved me from all this but I just refuse to go down that route.
None of my friends understand this. I am urged regularly to get help in the shape of various financial advisors.
But I have resisted up to now. The bottom line is that I don't mind paying my taxes. I pay the local tax in much the same way to Cornwall council.
The money goes to schools, hospitals, repairing roads and subsidising those less lucky than me.
In any society we are judged by how we take care of those less fortunate than ourselves. Paying tax is part of that deal. I am genuinely shocked by hearing about those people and companies who seem to need to cheat to pay less.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: