Tuesday 12 December 2017

Driving on ice.


Before going away again I have several visits to old friends mostly in the next villages......it hasn't snowed here...or even been frosted...
It is cold though.
I do value this sub tropical climate...in my garden I have azaleas flowering, camellia, mahonia, cyclamen are all joining in with great fat buds in waiting.
Geraniums winter over every year as do other delicate plants.
The absence of frost means that it's safe to drive...with no slippery roads.
I have in the past driven in appalling weather when circumstances have made me.
When in Lancashire I lived in one town and worked in another. This meant that very often I drove in very scary conditions.
If it snowed whilst I was in school I was very often struggling to get home afterwards.
On one occasion I arrived at a very steep hill, anxious about getting home to find it closed. The police were telling everyone to go round....this involved a very long detour through a small town nearby.
I stayed put and when approached by the policeman in charge I explained that I had children at home waiting for me.
He was wonderful. He waved me through and my small car got up the sand covered ice hill accompanied by prayers...
Now, free of ice and snow I'm not missing the hard winters I grew up with but the memories are wonderful.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: