Tuesday 16 January 2018

Driving in darkness.

I have an appointment today. I am booked to call on a friend a few miles away at half past three.
It occurred to me last night that if I did that I would only stay for about half an hour because it starts to go dark around four these days.
Another problem of old age.
I hate driving in the dark.
Even the dusk has its problems.
This has grown steadily over the last years. It started three years ago when I was driving David home from hospital. I put my headlights on full and went for it..determined to get him home safely.
Since then I have avoided driving anywhere very far in the dusk which has cut out evening meetings, Evensongs and dinner with old friends.
I can get into St Mawes providing I park in the well lit car park. But I don’t like it!
Other people of my age have confirmed their own reluctance to drive late at night...
There’s nothing wrong with my eyesight...I just hate the feeling that I’m driving into the unknown.
This is soppy and I know it...but there it is. This morning I will try to rearrange today’s meeting.
Fortunately the lady I’m going to see is of a similar age.
She will understand. Getting out of her drive is tricky when it’s light...
But it’s just one more indication of my frailty....and my old age...damm it!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I have to drive at night, often as my LLM training modules are 25 miles away at West Malling. I know the way very well, but everything is different at night - and like you, I am not comfortable driving in the dark, particularly if it is raining. The glare of the headlights of oncoming drivers is also a hazard.

I have two modules to do, back to back from next week. Some are on Saturdays, during the day, but four of them are in the evening at 7.30 pm.

I can't afford to miss them, as they're essential for my Continuing Ministry Development, but after these two, I won't take on any more without good reason.

I drive locally to our parish church in the evenings, but this is on well light, urban streets and roads. i have no qualms about that, apart from reversing into our garage in the dark, but so far, I have managed it without incident. But we've fitted floodlights to light up the garage area - so brightly lit.