Tuesday 20 February 2018

Driving my old Merc!

It’s a glorious day today. The sun shines and it is Spring in my garden...crocus, hellebore, snowdrops as well as camellias and azalea are in full flower.
So my first job will be to start my car.
Making sure it will start is one of the biggest problem these days.
It has nothing to do with bad weather, cold or wet but everything to do with needing to drive it more often and take it further afield to keep the battery charged...
I don’t drive it often enough. So every few days I start it to take it for a nice run out to the next village.
Today we may go to the garden centre...always pleasant at this time of the year...but by running it out today it means that I shall be sure of it starting tomorrow as I am visiting an old friend.
This lady is ten years older than me...and until this year used to drive from here to Devon to visit her children.
They have told her she is not to do it again..the village breathed again!
I don’t want to take her place as dotty old woman in charge of a vehicle...but it could happen!
My stepsons tell me not to lock the car as it sits on my drive because keeping everything locked uses more battery!
It is perfectly safe being unlocked...I never worry about anyone wanting to pinch it..the only crime in the village was when the poor box in the butchers was emptied..
I live in solitary state up here....but this makes it even more important that I charge my battery by driving it about a bit....
I do have a lovely man in a local garage who will come out and start it for me if I need him to...but I do try to keep it all running myself...
So...beep beep...off I go!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Interesting that the car stays in the open most of the time. Another way to save power is to disable the security electrics and use a key to open the car.