Tuesday 13 February 2018

Hard cash!

The subjects for this blog are simply what is on my mind . This covers a lot of ground over the year so that’s my excuse for this mornings blog.
It’s money.
Not what is in my bank account. It’s the cash that’s in my purse.
I don’t use cash all that much these days. Even the small shops in St Mawes do the magic by placing the card on the machine!
Yesterday I needed to put some fuel in my car. The local garage won’t take cheques or cards any more after too many bad experiences. So I make sure I have cash when I visit him.
Today I go to a pensioners lunch.
It used to cost twenty pounds but the lady cooking it has added a pound. Last time I was unable to find a pound coin...though I had quite a lot of euros!
So this morning I’m working out ways and means...
The best I can come up with is to present her with a five pound note together with the twenty.
This should mean I get four pounds change.....to keep safe in my purse for the next time they are needed! In theory!
Life is just too complicated these days..
When I’m away ... I use euros with no pain..here just finding the change for parking meters causes me trouble.
I know it’s age related...I’m trying to adjust. But everyone else at this lunch today will also be ancient...it will be interesting to see how everyone else copes..
I expect they will all be better equipped than me. But that’s what’s on my mind...it’s cash..




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

My story is the opposite of yours Jean. I need cash for taxis at least four times a week. Both my gardener and the cleaning lady prefer cash so i need some for them and odds and ends of collecting boxes around the town etc.
Anything at St. M's I pay by cheque and gift-aid it but still use cash for most things.
Every time i do a grocery shop I get cash-back up to the amount I am likely to need so am never left with an empty purse.
I know you shop online so that wouldn't work for you but maybe you should draw some when you visit your bank (just be careful where you put it at home).

UKViewer said...

Off course, most parking meters can be paid by using an App these days. The issue is that there are so many different systems out there, you need several apps to ensure that you have the right one.

I too find it difficult to carry cash, particularly coins for such mundane things as parking or paying small subscriptions or even buying a paper. Not all places accept cards, even in our urban environment. And small purchases on a card, can attract a small charge, doubling the cost of the item bought.

We need a chip in our finger or something, so we just touch a pad and pay, it's coming. All the sci-fi things I read about as a child, are already here. Soon we will all have a bar code on our foreheads for instant recognition of each other - so we can say "Good Morning Mrs 28828874992913 :)