Saturday 17 February 2018

Village panto!

When I first moved here I spent many years avoiding the village pantomime.
I don’t like pantos. As a little girl I was dragged to several both local and professional. and really hated the silliness , the characters and the traditional responses. "Oh yes he is." "Oh no he isn’t." Etc.
I must have been a very serious little girl because I grew up avoiding either seeing them or taking part in them.
Last year I was talked into going to the show held in the local village hall much against my judgement.
It was wonderful.
They take a script and then add their own jokes and local observations and throw in anything that feels right on the night.
It was a romp...and I thoroughly enjoyed it, mostly because I knew virtually everyone in it.
So there was no way I was going to miss this years production.
Only this morning have I realised that it means driving in the dark, something I’ve avoided of late. But I will do it.
I could ask someone to pick me up easily but I don’t want to do that..it’s not far and the car park is well lit...
So this evening I will set forth. "Oh yes I will"



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Yes, Panto can be fun although I have found that over the years, the jokes are often too near the knuckle for my taste.

During my Army career, I often trod the boards in skits run at community events, once at an actual theatre in Hampshire, where we parodied the foibles of those who led us or who were well known 'characters' in our units.

It's surprising how your personal stuff can be observed and wittily made into a performance to entertain and you need a good sense of humour to laugh at yourself when you are the featured act.

And the ability to mimic others seemed a natural talent, which I have foregone for a good few years, since i realised that in these more enlightened times, it could be regarded as a form of bullying.

Sad the good clean fun can become the villian, but that is now the nature of our society.