Wednesday 18 April 2018

No electricity!


Oh dear.
That’s the mildest expletive I can offer just now. Oh bloody dear gets closer.
I went to make my lunch yesterday to find the oven switched off. It’s an Everhot so it should have been hot already. However it was cold.
Trying to get something hot for lunch I switched to David’s emergency oven ( don’t ask) and that worked OK but then switched off all the electricity in the house immediately.
With no electricity anywhere I was jolted into action. Several mobile phone calls meant that I spoke to a man who over the phone told me how to get the lights on etc but not to touch the ovens.....
The sun shone so it wasn’t cold so I waited for the man to arrive....
He didn’t.
Having a house with no electricity at all was actually quite frightening...not only could I not cook, I couldn’t use the phone, or switch the radio or television on.
I felt cut off up here on my own with no means of communication. Thank goodness for my mobile phone.
At one point I realised that something was working when I got an email pinging it’s way into my inbox.
I had some electricity upstairs!
It was taking on the stuff of nightmare!
I rang the number on my emergency switch. A cheerful young man gave me several instructions from miles away...
They worked!
By following his lead I finally got everything working again bit by bit.
Last night I checked everything...the cooker was warming up.
This morning waking early I went down to check. The Everhot cooker was hot!
I have no idea what happened. I am just praying for a quieter day today!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

There must be a fuse box somewhere with an emergency cut out if the circuits are overloaoded.

It sounds as if your oven(s) might be the culprit, which caused the cut out to trip.

We have a fuse box, which we had installed which does exactly that. In our case the offending circuit will switch off, not the whole house. Going to the fuse box and putting the switch back to working position turns the electricity back on, but first make sure the offending oven is switched off.