Friday 18 May 2018

Charging my battery!

Today it’s not my personal battery which needs attention, it’s my car. Having not been out this week I have to get myself moving today. I am back to an old problem, keeping my car running.
She is a lovely old Mercedes, sadly not used all that much these days.
The number of times I have needed a jump start to get it moving have piled up lately...so I’m trying to keep her running by taking her out for a run regularly.
Usually this run goes to the village where I used to live.
A nice drive by the sea , looking out to Gull rock is now a regular route before the weekend starts in earnest. I need to be sure I can get to which ever church is expecting me.
I have been known to hitch hike before now. This amuses people mostly if I’m wearing clerical wear. One couple who picked me one Sunday morning came to church with me after I’d been picked up along the main road and they still come occasionally.
As a way of recruiting a congregation this is not recommended!
So to avoid my having to go out using my thumb I take the old Merc for a little run quite often on Friday morning.
It is a quiet day outside.....I have no idea where the tide is...but Gull rock is calling me, a lovely sight even on dark days.
I am getting into my Mr Toad mode....peep peep...watch out Cornwall! I am coming!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

UKViewer said...

My car is used daily. But honestly, if your car battery isn't reliable, isn't it time for it to be replaced. New batteries are good for several years, and it would remove the constant worry about the car starting when needed.

Revjeanrolt said...

The battery is just two years old. Even new ones need charging sometimes!

Revjeanrolt said...

Ive been out, the roads are busy but batteries charged I can now deal with funerals and things.....

Anonymous said...

Just because you buy a new battery does mean your battery will not go flat if you do not use it regularly,especially if you only make short journeys. I do know this because it happens with my BMW & my late husband owned a Garage for forty years. I have great son in law check it every few weeks & put it on charge if necessary.

UKViewer said...

My old car has a new battery every three years or so. It does a lot of miles, but the performance of batteries goes down over time. I have been caught out by a flat battery, while away on a long journey, as the battery performance had given no indication of being in difficulties. The RAC came to the rescue and fitted a replacement at the road side. Now my battery gets checked every month and on services. So, hopefully, I won't be caught out again. And as the car is used daily, I need too be usable at all times.