Sunday 27 May 2018

Old stories.

I am feeling strangely introspective. This does not happen very often. I am usually too busy. Today though is a day off. So I have time to think, to breath to watch life as it passes me by.
Considering this is a holiday weekend it’s very quiet outside..so far. It’s also dark and gloomy which is a fair reflection of my mood.
I have people arriving next week. Plans are already being made but somehow I am feeling disconnected.
My friends are people from forty years ago . People I knew when I was married to the first David and yesterday one of them sent me an old photograph of him down at the boat yard , clearly in the full flow of some long winded story.
He was very good at that and some of our old friends then, still recount David’s stories with great affection.
It is now very odd to sit after a meal listening to someone else recounting one of David’s tales......they were good ones and I’m glad they are still "alive" but it does feel odd now I’ve moved on, married the second David, gone into the church and am really not the same woman as the one appearing next to him on the photographs.
Time seems to stand still at times, I can almost hear his voice recounting them .
I suppose chatting with friends of almost fifty years is bound to hold some weird memories, some of which I don’t actually remember myself . But I’m glad they do. It’s odd to be reintroduced to someone who died in 1997.
It’s a tribute to some of stories and his way of telling them that they still live on so long after they were first heard so I am ready....I know that at some part of the week they will be spoken again.
It’s an odd sort of reincarnation....but it does work. For short spells when we are all together there is David in the midst of us.
I do hope he’s up there laughing.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: