Wednesday 16 May 2018

Sharks?

I read with interest the account of the fisherman being bitten by a shark in the sea not all that far from here.
I used to swim in the sea a lot, accompanied by my Golden retriever Crispin.
He stayed by my side as we swam out and tugged me back in if he thought we’d gone too far out.
Often we encountered dog fish swimming out there with us.
These very large fish look very like sharks but I’m told are harmless.
Crispin thought it his duty to look after me on our swimming excursions.
He would try to growl at the dog fish but he couldn’t get his head far enough out of the water to be convincing.
A couple of times though he became very insistent, nudging me away from the big fish.
After seeing pictures of the shark that did the biting I do now wonder if I got saved from a similar experience when Crispin with great determination pushed me back to shore.
I don’t swim much these days apart from in the pools of various cruise ships. But I do sometimes wonder if maybe some human sharks might be found swimming alongside me...without Crispin to see them off!
I still miss him...but I will not have another dog despite well meaning offers occasionally. Any dog I took on now would outlive me!
Plus I no longer swim a long way out any more. A nice walk along a beach is the best I can do. I can be sensible sometimes........


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

A beautiful story of Crispin's loyalty and love for you.

Labradors are loving dogs. I had Wendy, years ago, and she loved nothing better than water and mud. In those days, when I ran every day, she accompanied me with great joy. It kept her (and me) trim and meant that she didn't suffer from the issue of weight, which are common among labs. I miss her companionship and that of a later Dog, (cross breed) Della, who did the same, and whose ashes now rest in our garden.