Tuesday 19 June 2018

Poldark's Cornwall

I had a thoroughly self indulgent night last night.
In advance of the football threat I had sent for three seasons of Poldark. Another will appear at the end of the current run.
It’s not just watching the acting...really it’s not...it’s seeing all the scenes where the action takes place...
The beaches are supposed to be on the north coast but I recognise a couple of them as being fairly local to here.
The long rides along grassy reaches are very familiar to me as places I used to walk with my dog.
Living here in all it’s celebrated beauty was always something the first David and I aimed at. I regret that he never achieved it.
But arriving on my own I have been very fortunate..mostly....
Living in my old idiosyncratic farm house , watching the ships arriving and leaving is a great joy now I no longer stride out daily with my golden retriever.
I still remember the morning in church when we were having a natter after the service when someone arrived breathless and very excited with the news that they were filming just a mile or so away.
It was wonderful how quickly the church emptied.
So it’s no wonder that I recognise much of the terrain..but I cannot say that that’s the only reason for watching it...
The characters and their stories are riveting in their own right but the landscape revealed in each episode is the real star of the show...and the reason why I now live here. Thank you God.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: