Saturday 21 July 2018

Smart meter?

About a month ago a young man arrived to install a smart electricity meter in my home.
This followed some very confused attempts at reading my meter which flicks on and off too quickly for me these days.
A smart meter was highly recommended.
The poor young man had never seen a house like mine, the result of two small homes fused together to make one larger one.
I am now used to it’s eccentricity. It’s all part of life’s rich pattern. It suits me.
In the end it was the somewhat unreliable mobile phone signal that did for it.
I am fairly close to the tower which sends out the signal but that has not made it always reliable.
The young man was clearly relieved when I asked.
"Is it really going to be worth it?"
We decided that on the whole it probably wasn’t.
My old meter in a little box on the side of the house is read by one of their young men . It always seems accurate and I pay for my consumption by a direct debit every month.
That’s just about as upmarket as I am likely to get.
The idea that I want to monitor my usage and to cut down on big bills doesn’t actually work for me...as long as a light comes on when I want it, there is enough "juice" to keep my cooker hot and I can keep my "toys" charged daily then I’m happy.
It’s just one more step into the brave new world that I’m not prepared to take....
There are enough things to worry about without new meters to inform me on a daily basis!
Yet another marker in old age!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: