Thursday 16 August 2018

My bike

I found a lovely picture of a bicycle on my twitter feed. I just can’t get it to carry onto my blog!
I wasn’t my actual bike of course but it was very much like it. When I lived in Essex, a flat county compared to Cornwall, I rode a bike everywhere. I bought one in the local market in a fairly dilapidated state and did it up. She had very big wheels and was navy blue. The picture made me feel quite homesick.
She didn’t make the move from Essex to Cornwall . It’s much too hilly here so I gave her to an old friend but seeing this picture which I regret I am unable to reproduce brought back some weird memories.
I had a perfectly good car but if I wasn’t going far I used to cycle there.
She took me to school, to the library, into town, through the park...
She had a basket on the back as well as the front and I would fill them up directly from Marks and Spencer several times a week.
I loved my cycle. My neighbours used to call it my Queen Juliana bike after the Dutch lady who rode something similar.
I left her behind with a friend when I moved...and I don’t suppose she’s still ridden much now but for me she was freedom, the ability to travel into places my car wouldn’t go.
This picture which I don’t seem to be able to add to this blog reminded me of my biking days. I’m so glad I found it...I know it’s daft to feel soppy about a bike but it belongs to a time when I was younger and free....Happy Days!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: