Tuesday 20 November 2018

Old friends.

I have a friend visiting this afternoon. She is ten years older than me and very frail. She wants to drive over from the next village to give her car battery a charge.
I will be very glad to see her but I will be praying for her safe arrival and departure.
It is just one more problem of old age.
I am old and all my friends are old too!
Fortunately I still have the stair lift here so I can get her upstairs to my sitting room easily.
Her body may be ancient but intelligence still shines out whenever she speaks.
It is a friendship I value, not least for the common sense approach to the church.
As she puts it she was a child of the manse when young, her father being a vicar.
She was also one of the first female doctors to get her medical degree before the war.
Our conversations are full of laughter whilst we discuss the way we are dealing with our age related problems.
It’s important to us both to keep our cars running...they give us freedom from the kind offers from other people to transport us around the Roseland.
She cheers me up a lot and I look forward to her safe arrival. The reverse at the end of the afternoon will be to check that she arrives home safely before dusk sets in!
Being old and having old friends is one of life’s blessings...thank you God!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: