Saturday 19 January 2019

Saturdays off.

It was Saturday!
Yesterday I remembered that fact with some surprise. Now I am a retired priest I don’t have to spend my Saturdays picking hymns or finishing sermons...It’s a free day! Wow! This will take some getting used to!
Naturally my mind went back to the last Saturday of note...the one I spent in New York with my new friend Ruth.
Gosh that was a day!
She has since sent pics of me loitering in a Cathedral, standing close to an ice rink, watching the expert skating and also in a pub behind several glasses...empty.
I had no idea that New York was so full of Irish pubs! Or that I’d find Irish coffee so good.
The day did not contain shops. I had spent the last time I was in New York shopping. It was only a month or so before , so on that last occasion the shops didn’t tempt me. That fact in itself is remarkable. Usually I can’t wait to part with my money on various rash items, to be regretted later!
So I may have to start shopping on Saturday again to make the most of my retirement.
There are shops here in St Mawes but they are nothing like the ones in New York.
I have toyed with the notion of driving to the next village where there is a shop selling lovely, freshly painted sea scapes but I’m not quite ready for that....yet.
I am perfectly happy to have leisurely Saturdays...it’s a novelty!





No comments: