Tuesday 24 August 2010

Christening

On Sunday I am doing a baptism of a seven year old girl who is very excited and I fear is thinking of this as a rather large party. The new frock sounds more bridal than baptismal. I have already spoken to her ,her parents and her brother to try to make sure they understand what it's actually all about. Her brother, christened as a baby has asked if he can read her something so I have looked out a couple of prayers for him and I will talk them all through it when they come again on Friday. Because this child is not a baby I can't bypass her completely by just dealing with the Godparents so I've told her that I will be asking her some questions about God too. She was much reassured when I said that the answer to all of the questions will be yes..
In the meanwhile I found this in a book of Celtic Prayer
Lifted high
A little child ran across the street, runny nosed, a bit scruffy,tripping over almost. She ran towards a man whose arms were opened wide to welcome her.
"Give us a swing Jesus " she said and she felt herself lifted high and she saw the street and the sky whirling around her, ablaze with colour, like a mixed up rainbow.
She was laughing then, excited, free, gasping for breath.
"Enough," she said and she felt herself slowing down, relaxing, safe as Jesus held her in his arms and smiled.

Unless we become like little children
Unless we risk that joy
Unless we run and ask and let ourselves
Be lifted high
We are never going to enter the Kingdom of God.

Wonderful.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Truro,United Kingdom

No comments: