Friday 3 September 2010

RIP Cyril Smith

The news of Cyrils death has brought back memories from the deep dark times when I was a little girl in Rochdale. He lived just round the corner. We went to the same Unitarian Sunday School. He was much older than me but I do remember that he was always very big. The reason for that was that his mother Eva was a fantastic cook. Made the best potato pies in the street.
He kept an eye on me for my mother when I started going to the youth club. He was a brilliant table tennis player as a young man. His political career varied. He started as a liberal, came over to the Labour Party and won his first election in my ward when he was only just over the age to vote. He came to my house to give me a pair of nylons...much sought after in those days as a thank you present because I had helped get the votes in.
His return to the Liberals did not please any of the Labour Party but I was glad for him when he became an MP. I went off to college soon afterwards.
We only met occasionally after that. The last time was in Chelmsford when he was campaigning. He always stayed the same essentially...and stayed in the same house in Rochdale refusing to move for man many years whilst the rest of us moved swiftly on. Enjoy your time in heaven Cyril. Reunited with your mother and hopefully her pies.

I will light a candle for you tomorrow. Now that you are up there you will be amazed at that statement and even more that I am now a priest. May the candle light your way and the grace of the Lord be with you.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Charlotte MacKenzie said...

Cyril Smith had a reputation for a great sense of humour too - even when he was visiting Truro and directed to walk through 'Squeeze Guts Ope' to get to St Mary's Street - impossible!