Wednesday 13 October 2010

Domestic violence




Tonight at dinner I saw something which has worried me. At the next table sat a large man in his fifties. His wife looked a little younger but was almost bald and had a sore arm.
I first heard his voice of suppressed anger. He was German. I don't understand German. But I do understand the looks he was giving his wife. In a low voice he was clearly finding fault with her. It went on for about half an hour until I realised she was weeping. She wiped her eyes and took her daughter out of the room.
The man sat and seethed. I saw the fury in his eyes andy I fear for the woman. I have been the victim of domestic violence and know what the outcome of this scene will be. God help her because I am not able to.
He finally paid his bill and left. I am very anxious. But nothing I can actually do here. At home I would get her into a refuge. Please God let her be alright.
PS. I saw the woman on the following day and she looked alright. I hope so.

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

What a sad and dispiriting scenario to witness.

Difficult to decide what could be done, apart from finding local police etc.

Why, O, Why can men be so cruel?