Tuesday 12 October 2010

Evacuated to a dry flat.

We have had wonderful weather here in the last couple of weeks but this morning saw it end. We sat up in bed discussing the day and I managed a short spell on the Internet before anyone got up and then we went into the kitchen. The rooms are all tiles here and my bare feet soon detected water. A lot of it lying around. Our table was also dripping so I put bowls to catch it and went for a mop bucket. We had had a small flood previously but this one beat us. Water streamed in under doors and through the roof. I turned off the electricity as it fell from the light fitting over the table. We hastily moved everything to safety until we found two more rooms getting wetter by the minute. I rang for help first getting my clothes on and then a man arrived, pronounced the apartment hopeless. "Please leave now."
What did I grab? The iPhone. It went down to reception with us and we had breakfast whilst the hotel decided what to do with us.
After the electricity had been switched back on we got back into the apartment to get all our stuff together. We were being evacuated. My trusty iPad had got wet but only the case...all was well. So off we trundled ,helped by the staff here who were marvelous.
We are now rehomed in a similar ground floor apartment so far dry. The original one had a roof garden and that was where the water was coming from. So we packed, unpacked and dried off this morning. Then we had a little rest. Then lunch then another little rest. Outside it's still pouring but we are dry and full of admiration for the management here who came to our rescue in fine fashion. We have only two days of our holiday left. The forecast on the iPad says it's rain all the way. But it's fine. We can't find anything anyway.
Before we married I warned David that things happened to me. He now believes it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: