Saturday 25 December 2010

Christmas nasty!

This morning I am off to Philleigh which is a very rural parish up tiny country lanes. The church is very beautiful and right next to the pub which is convenient in many ways. The last time I did the Christmas morning mass was couple of years ago. We set off early because apart from me no knew what was needed for a Christmas morning communion.
On arrival we found one man on his own looking harassed. I helped set up the altar and he got out the wine and the bread. Philleigh do not have wafers. The bread is in fact a loaf.
Before the service started I broke up the bread into four large pieces, not sure who would turn up.
As it happened quite a lot of people were there so at the appropriate moment I started to break one large piece into several small pieces. There in the middle of the bread was a wood louse. And it was alive.
I dropped it onto the flour and then discarded the bread praying the rest of it would be louse free. The only person who had seen any of this was my husband.
"What on earth was that all about ?" he asked afterwards so I told him about the wood louse.
"Well " he said happily, "It could have been worse. If you'd already consecrated it you'd have had to eat it!"
Who knows what this morning will bring? If it's a wood louse Lord please not still alive!

Location:Truro,United Kingdom

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Jean,

Shades of I am a Celebrity, get me out of here. People being cruel to nature by eating live insects etc.

However, I hear that they are quite crunchy :)

Happy and Holy Christmas to you.

Anonymous said...

a maggot fell out of the bread once as I lifted it to break the bread having consecrated. I then went along to communion rail looking carefully at what i was putting in peoples hands praying like mad that there weren't any more lurking. I then had to eat up the left over without pulling a face.