Friday 24 December 2010

Christmas poem


There is so much to do today....starting with a funeral visit early that I am going to put one of my favourite poems by U A Fanthorpe here. It's a reminder of what really happened at Christmas.

The Sheep dog

After the very bright light
And the talking bird
And the singing
And the sky filled up wi' wings
And then the silence

Our lads sez
"We'd better go, then
Stay Shep. Good dog stay"
So I stayed wi' t sheep

After they cum back
It sounded grand, what they'd seen
Camels, and kings, and such,
Wi presents - human sort
Not the kind you eat
And a baby. Presents were for Him
Our lads took Him a lamb

I had to stay behind wi' sheep
Pity they didn't tek me along too
I'm good wi sheep
And the baby might have liked a dog
After all that myrrh and such.

It should be read with a northern accent of course!



2 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

Thanks for that one Jean. Had heard it before but not for a long time. Rather better than mine, posted in a fit of self-pitying misery this morning.

Hope you have a lovely peaceful Christmas

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for that, Jean. I'd never heard it before. You enrich my life!