Tuesday 28 December 2010

Lancashire Eulogy

Ive just finished writing the latest Eulogy. It was very hard to write because the widow didn't actually want a eulogy as such.
 "He wouldn't have wanted that" she said, "They are always such shallow things, full of lies." So that got me started yet again on the subject.
If they are full of lies then that is a great shame. Surely the person has not yet been born that you can't find lots of good things to say about them. Erm well    one or two exceptions I suppose.
I do know  people who have written their own eulogies, in fact I suspect that my husband is one of them. People here don't really know much about what he did before he got to Cornwall so some might just be rather surprised! I do know that his sons have asked him to write down all the details of his early life and I have been startled to find him doing just that!  I really hope it's not intimations of mortality just yet!
The widow today was quiet and gentle and had been a civil servant for the whole of her adult life. So had he. They had no children and in their 80's no living relations at all.
She was relieved to find that I was a fellow Lancastrian and asked very diffidently whether I would mind doing it in a Lancashire accent!
"He would love that" she said. So Lancashire accent it is. At one funeral the mother of the local plumber had been a Liverpudlian so I attempted a rather poor accent at one point at which the entire family burst into a round of applause.
"You got our mam to a tee" said the young man when he came round to fix a pipe burst. "We still talk about it. She would have loved it.!"
So  that's really what it should be about....Getting them to a tee.  I can only try, accent or no accent!

2 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

Jean, I don't know what you did in your pre-ministry life but it is clear what you could do in a future one, should your calling fade.

Revjeanrolt said...

The mind is boggling. Cymraeg.