Sunday 5 June 2011

Simple banking please.

Here I am complaining again. Once more about banking. The bank I have known best for most of my adult life has already gone to the dogs or at the very least the state as the majority share holder but it's all the little things that have started to get me down.
I pulled out of online banking years ago when an overcomplicated signing in process went wrong so frequently that it had become a hassle. The telephone banking service was easier and much more user friendly. I was happy with that. Then I got an app for my mobile phone. That was just plain wonderful. By pushing in a five figure password I could see my balance and even a mini statement.
I have tried several times times to pay off my credit card by phone. Succeeded twice, failed once because, once again it became overcomplicated. They sent me a secret number embossed on a black background which I couldn't read in time. So the whole process started again!
I only need to use my credit card because so many on line shops don't yet take Visa debit cards. Another helpful change?
Today there was an update for the mobile phone app. After installing it I found I had to put in all sorts of things I didn't have, like my customer number. The app is ruined. What was a simple easy to use system is now not and I just want to go back to the original.
I am not a stupid woman. I am very busy and ok I am old . The bank that prides itself on helpful banking has failed yet again. I rang them to tell them this. One man put the phone down on me. Another told me an official complaint would be a lengthy process. Who needs any more angst?
I just want to go back to simple banking please .


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

Amen and Amen!

I thought clever technology was supposed to make life easier. Got that wrong.

What really worries me is the increasing unavailability of human beings rather than machines to talk to when things go pear-shaped.

Simple really is best. Someone please note.

UKViewer said...

I decided long ago that internet banking was rubbish, like you I changed to telephone banking.

All went fine until a cheque book that the bank sent to me was stolen and the bank paid a cheque for over £1000 at a branch in Loughborough just before last Christmas.

Having reported a fruad, I was then required to jump through all sorts of hoops to prove that It wasn't my signature and in the meantime my account was in overdraft and I was being charged for the privilege.

Ringing was a real pain, I could not talk to an agent, I had to talk to someone on the fraud department and once the fraud was officially reported, they were unable to speak to me either.

I had to present myself at the local bank branch, with two forms of identity and my bank card. There an agent would talk to the fraud people on my behalf.

The continued to pay my direct debits but would not give me any cash on my cash card, I had to issue a cheque, signed in their presence, which was impossible as they had canceled all of my cheques?

Eventually, five weeks after my initial complaint, they admitted that the cheque wasn't mine and credited my account.

They said that reporting it to the police was a waste of time, which proved correct as the police refused to even give me a crime number, saying that it was upto the bank to investigate and the bank would involve them if it found enough evidence to prosecute. I would not be involved in any way?

I had requested a new cheque book, to be picked up at the bank branch, but the bank sent it to my home, just as they did with the stolen cheque book, despite assuring me that it would not happen.

My complaints went unanswered until I demanded a written apology for the inconvenience that they had put me through. Eventually I got a grudging apology from a Customer Services Manager.

And this is one of the better banks?

Now, I do all of my banking in person at a branch, making it as inconvenient for them as possible by asking lots of questions about security and are they sure that they've paid a cheque into the right account etc. Pettyminded I suppose, but they enfuriated me at the time and I just want a bit of light relief at their expense.

Jenni said...

Living in a remote area means shopping on line is quite an advantage until my bank brought in a "click Safe " security check. It is supposed to give extra security when when paying by card, checking that it is acually me who is making the purchase. However it only appears on certain sites and so rarely, I can never remember the wretched password, or else it just refuses the one I type in , even if it's correct. I usually end up banging my head on the computer and waiting for the next expedition to the shops.

Red said...

lol!! I should probably not admit at this point that my husband works for a bank.. ;) (not in any kind of money deparment tho!) But we have the same trials nonetheless.. The thing that irritates me is when you try and buy something online and it refuses payment beacuse you have incorrectly included a comma in your address in the wrong place. then you have to start the whole process all over again... grr... maybe we should go back to the days of stashing it all under the bed!
redx
PS: enjoying reading your blog!

Babs said...

We closed all the accounts that we cannot get to in town. Any problems and we can walk in there.
David S would be pleased with us, we have now two accounts with his bank. Nat West were so lovely, Like you Jean I am old, unfortunately or forunately, I am 40 years of age in side and that gets me into a lot of trouble !!!!!