Friday 11 November 2011

Heaven-Haven

I have always enjoyed the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins.  The wonderful imagery and the sprung rhythms make them essential reading for me . Over the years I have often taken refuge in  and wept at the plight of the nuns whose ship was sunk as they fled from persecution described in his epic poem "The wretch of the Deutchlander"
Today, thinking of all the fallen I read this wonderful short poem written by Hopkins as he prepared for priesthood...but it might equally be appropriate for those going into battle.

Heaven-Haven

I have desired to go
Where springs not fail
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
And a few lilies blow

And I have asked to be
Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb
And out of the swing of the sea.

Hopkins

I too wish to be out of the mad worlds clamour  today.
Silence really is golden.

1 comment:

Revjeanrolt said...

That should of course read wreck not wretch!