Thursday 19 January 2012

Bereavement .

Having left New York under cover of darkness I am left with the feeling that it is a city still in the last stages of bereavement. Everyone we met whilst we were there had a story to tell. I talk to people everywhere I go and this time all the Americans and the Canadians spoke at length of the day the twin towers were destroyed. With no prompting from me they spoke of the sadness and the difficulty of coming to terms with it, of the physical problems of the ash that covered the surrounding area, of the decision not to watch the the TV in case it showed something too hard to cope with. The rest of us have come to terms with what happened but some of those nearest to it are still having nightmares and reliving the moment. One man told of how he ran home, locked his door and didn't go out or a week. Another of how his local church ran soup kitchens for the firemen who were involved in the rescue operation. They all told the same story even though the details were different. That one event shaped their lives from the moment it happened. They knew life would never be the same again for anyone and the need to tell the story is typical of those who have lost someone dear to them. It is their way of coping. I did it myself when my husband died and recognize the need to do it. I pray the healing arrives soon for them all. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: