Saturday 11 February 2012

Soft sift in an hour glass.

We have had breakfast and then walked the deck, finally choosing to sit quietly and just watch the glory go by. The sea is quite simply an amazing sight now. The winds are ruffling the waves and sending the spray which often resolves into a small rainbow of colour. It is easy to find the presence of God in this peace and splendor. It is easy to thank Him for his bounty and to marvel at His creation. Gerard Manley Hopkins has been a firm favourite of mine for many years and I find I am reading his poems again with an increased awareness of their beauty. This small snippet I'd from "The wreck of the Deautchland " is particularly relevant just now. I am soft sift In an hourglass at the wall And it crowds and it combs to the fall. I kiss my hand to the stars , lovely asunder Kiss my hand to dappled with damson West His mystery must be unstressed, stressed? For I greet him the days I meet Him And bless when I understand. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: