Sunday 13 May 2012

Empty pubs.

Last night we were invited out by one of David's old rowing chums. They were only here briefly so I put aside all protestations about going out on a Saturday night and we booked a table.
We'd left it late. On Thursday I thought about it so on Friday I nagged about it saying "You had better get a move on...it's Saturday night!"
In the past everywhere was full on that night!
The table booked, we turned up to find a completely empty pub. It's out in the lanes but has a wonderful garden and legendary food.
It was still a bit early but only two other tables were used during the evening and only two people graced the bar for about half an hour!
It was like being in a ghost pub!
I talked briefly afterwards to the owners.....trade had dwindled over the winter months and is not picking up.
This story repeated over Cornwall is serious.
Repeated over the whole country it's catastrophic .
Obviously the pinch is being felt everywhere but now we are in a situation where thriving businesses are going fail....Deep. Deep recession....
For all those people who are anxious about their businesses failing I worry, for all those who can't afford to have a pint on a Saturday night I worry. There are worse things I know but as one more sign of a failing economy it is deeply distressing and no one should be complacent in these times...what affects one of us affects us all!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: