Friday 27 July 2012

Rowing as a sport!

Once an athlete always an athlete is message reaching me loud and clear this morning...
David is in his eighties....but is still an athlete especially when he is watching his sport...rowing.
We watched the wonderful film about the 1948 Olympics last night.  The partnership between two men which got them gold....
In 48 David was a young rower who had already competed and won at Henley.  He knew all the locations in the film, all the names of the rowers  and the colours of the various clubs....
He glowed with pride when people from Leander were seen wearing their salmon pink hats and scarves.
It is a very exclusive club. Only people who were in a winning team can join...David will no doubt wear his pink stuff this week onwards with pride...
It was a lovely film, absolutely accurate I am told....and it brought home just how hard a sport rowing is....he was an oarsman....only one oar as opposed to a sculler with two..
The amazing thing is that he can still do it...
He sits down on a machine or a boat, the back bends, there is a small smile and he is away!
He says he couldn't keep it up for long now but all the muscles are still there!
I have never had much interest in sport....I've never really watched much of it  on the TV, apart from ice dancing and the like...but I know that I will be watching this year....
It is worth noting that my husband is still a very fit man even though he is now in the crumbly stage....I truly believe that sports men and woman go on being healthy and strong long past the usual sell by date...
My years cycling in Essex have certainly contributed to my well-being in old age.
So when I am being bored to death by constant races and jumping and throwing I will also be thanking God for giving us our healthy old age together!
Let the games commence!

No comments: