Saturday 8 September 2012

High or Low?

Just finished writing the first sermon for tomorrow....and its given me some fairly odd insights....I have only been to this particular church once before so I don't know them at all.  Some of them know me through various choirs but on the whole its a new group of people entirely .
So as I wrote the sermon  I worried.  
It is remarkable how much information you can impart over a period of several years if you  are there week after week...
It means that there are certain things that are a given....I don't have to worry about upsetting people by telling them that the first gospel was written by Mark not Matthew...
The differences between Jew and Gentile practices I can more or less take as read with my usual bunch. Tomorrow I have to start again basically.
They have had a woman priest so that's one battle I shall not have .
I am comforted by the meetings I have had with her that there is nothing in her outlook or approach to ministry that makes me uneasy.....and yet....all the churches I visit are different...the same service is treated in different ways. I am not sure how high or low this church is......but as I'm somewhere in the middle it should be Ok.
I am fairly sure that I'll have no real problem  following the service sheet.....but its still a little like walking from the known into the unknown......
I do however have the considerable comfort of know that God will be there....deep sigh.....smiling now...thank you God...

No comments: