Sunday 14 October 2012

No act of kindness is wasted

We know as priests that we are human...Coming late in life to this job it came as a bit of a surprise when I discovered that human frailty exists here as well as everywhere else.

Lately I have had lovely things happen ,unexpected at times but very welcome. Letters from people I married ages ago stand side by side with thank you's for small things , hardly worth mentioning. This week alone I have had three cards from people to tell me of their future plans and the joy they have found in coming to services here in Cornwall.

This morning I told the congregation about a small act of kindness which meant a great deal to me during a time of anxiety and unhappiness. Years later it's still a beacon in my life illustrating the goodness of God during a bleak period.

With all these shows of affection and thanks one small rejection is minute. And yet sometimes an unkind gesture can hurt more than anyone can know. We should be able to line up the bad, upsetting moments alongside the good ones and shrug them off. But sometimes it's hard...

Any small act of kindness is never wasted I think...any generous gesture, a warm smile, a peck on the cheek, they all are what makes a community grow together. And can counter the opposite, the dismissive words of rejection that can bring hurt where it may not be obvious.

Love one another as I have loved you! We can but try!

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Couldn't agree more!!

Recently did a spiritual stocktake with my SD. And found that the occasions for Thanksgiving heavily outweighed the pain and sorrow that I've encountered.

The peck on the cheek, the hug or the occasional hand in hand, without a word, sometimes just says more than words can say. It's knowing peoples boundaries and how best to approach something I feel.